Thursday, September 26, 2013

Big Block of Cheese Day 2013

Fun Fact: In 1837, President Andrew Jackson's supporters gifted him with a wheel of cheese weighing 1,400 lbs. Jackson put this cheese in the Entrance Hall of the White House and invited the people of the United States to eat it, and thereby meet the people who represented them in government. According to White House history, the cheese was consumed in two hours, and the White House smelled of cheese for weeks.

I mirrored something like that today. I provided a 12 lb wheel of cheddar cheese, and invited the campus to the Student Center to eat it. It was a great opportunity to talk about campus technology. As an added "draw," and because of my Scottish ancestry, I wore my kilt.


It was tons of fun, and lots of students, faculty, and staff turned up to have some cheese and talk about campus technology! We talked about the wireless network upgrade, Zimride, and other topics.


I'd like to thank everyone who helped in making Big Block of Cheese Day a huge success.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! They highlighted this on and episode of "West Wing".

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, that's where I first heard of President Jackson and the big block of cheese. It turns out, "West Wing" pulled that one from history. It really did happen!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.