Monday, January 4, 2016

Audiobook recommendations, part 2

Part two of my very long list of audiobook recommendations. My drive to/from Morris was about three hours. I filled the time by listening to audiobooks. As I reflect on my time at Morris, I wanted to share these excellent audiobook recommendations with you.

I like science fiction and strong drama. I prefer full-cast performances over traditional readings, although I listen to both. A year or so before moving to Morris, I discovered Big Finish, which had the license to make new audio stories based on the classic Doctor Who television program. They do other stories too, but all all of these recommendations are Doctor Who and closely related spin-off series.
Doctor Who
The well-known, long-running BBC science fiction program, featuring the original cast. I've arranged these stories according to Doctor.
Multi-Doctor
Stories with multiple Doctors at once. The Light at the End is the 50th Anniversary story that focused on Doctors 4-8, with cameos by Doctors 1-3.
5th Doctor
Peter Davison as the 5th Doctor. Key 2 Time is an interesting three-part story featuring a second search for the Key to Time.
6th Doctor
Colin Baker as the 6th Doctor, featuring companions old and new.
22. Bloodtide
65. The Juggernauts
193. Masters of Earth
7th Doctor
Sylvester McCoy as the 7th Doctor, with Ace and new companion Hex.
8th Doctor
Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. A few stories featuring new companion Charlotte (Charley) Pollard.
A selection of stories with new companion Lucie Miller. These also aired on BBC Radio 4 Extra.
The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
An interesting spin-off from Doctor Who, centered on an archaeologist in the future who discovers the Egyptian god Sutekh wasn't a myth after all. Also features the 7th Doctor and Ace from Doctor Who.
Dalek Empire
Another spin-off from Doctor Who, this tells the story of the Daleks as they conquer the human race, and our struggle for freedom. Series 1-2 are good, but I think series 3-4 are quite dull; series 3-4 take place well after series 2 anyway, so 2 is a good stopping point.
I, Davros
About the creator of the Daleks, this tells the story of Davros as a young man during the Thousand Year War. Skip The Davros Mission, which was a one-off story that missed its mark.
Cyberman
One more spin-off from Doctor Who, about Earth at war with their own android creations in Orion, and leveraging captured Cyberman technology in a bid for victory. Series 2 is less good, so I'm not recommending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.